Monday, April 23, 2018

Temple Number 6

I am hard-wired to benefit from tropical plants. I love the ambiance, the beauty, and the peaceful oxygen-rich atmosphere in a greenhouse. I have had a Temple most of my life, since I was 18 years old.

The Lord has blessed me with  a place where I can finally have another "Temple." Two of my previous Temples, or their remnants, are still standing after many years. This latest edifice is constructed of 4' x 8' panels that bolt together, and can easily be moved to another location, should the need arise.

The first decision at hand, was where to place the greenhouse for maximum light exposure. My previous experience has demonstrated that too much shade causes poor growth of the plants, with resulting few blooms.

The head of my driveway is in full sun until 2 p.m., after which it is shaded by a large Chinese Elm. Temple  #2 from 1989 had a similar arrangement, and I was able to flower the plants with ease. Temple #3 was placed similarly with favorable results.



 Temple #4 was a disaster, being located against the west side of my former residence. There was no morning sun, and everything baked for a few hours at the end of the day. This is during demolition in 2012.
Temple #5 was in shade most of the day.


I started construction several weeks ago, using 2" x 2" paint lumber. The white surfaces help to conduct light into the greenhouse , and give the building a retro feel.


The first things I constructed were the roof trusses. The SunTuf material is flimsy, so reinforcement is necessary.
 
One of the North wall panels.
 
The East wall.
The West and South walls go up.
The finished wall framing, bolted together. The peculiar opening on the lower left of the facing wall is for the evaporative cooler.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment